Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pursue the Impossible

In 1997, James Cameron's "Titanic" was estimated at an enormous budget of $200 million dollars. The set was constructed in seven months in Baja, California, Mexico and took another six months of principle photography and post-production. On several occasions, Universal and Paramount studios came closely in shutting down the set and production due to the increasing budget and little accomplishments from James Cameron. Although, James Cameron is one of two directors whom have directed films over a budget equal or more than $100 million dollars, films includes, True Lies and Terminator: Judgement Day. The film went on to become a major box-office hit surpassing more than $1.8 billion dollars world-wide. Titanic was nominated for fourteen Academy Awards, winning eleven Oscars, which includes Best Director (Cameron) and the coveted Best Picture.

When I was thirteen in 1997, I was inspired and awakened from such a film. I knew from that moment I wanted to become a film director. Coincidentally, I got the chance to meet James Cameron in 2001. I asked him for inspirational notes on my pursuit to becoming a filmmaker, his response was to never give up on and to work hard. Thank you, James Cameron.

- Javier Serrano, founder of Monte Pictures

No comments: